Who should attend?
This course is designed for both professionals and amateurs interested in learning about spirits and liqueurs.
During this course, you will learn how to taste spirits (which is not the same approach as for tasting wine…) and also to understand the principles of distillation and the effect of ageing.
How will you benefit?
At the end of the course, you will have an understanding of:
- Influence of production methods on the characteristics of spirits and liqueurs
- Characteristics of the main spirits and liqueurs in the world
- Evaluation of a spirit using the WSET Systematic Approach to Tasting Spirits© (Level 2)
Outline of the programme
- raw ingredients
- the main styles of spirits
- tasting of spirits, using the WSET Level 2 systematic approach to tasting©
To gain the Level 1 qualification, candidates will be required to:
- a multiple choice paper of 30 questions
N.B. Teaching, study materials and examination are available in one of the following languages: French, German or English
Included in the course fee: – course material, spirit samples, examination and instruction
Knowledge required to access the course: – None required
N.B. If you are unsure, please contact us, so that we can help you choose the level of the course according to your needs and objectives.
Guided learning hours: – It is recommended that the teaching time for the course is not less than 6 hours and not more than 9 hours
Learning outcomes – on successful completion of this course, the candidate will be able to:
- demonstrate an understanding of the raw ingredients used to produce spirits
- demonstrate a basic understanding of the main styles of spirits
- produce tasting notes using the WSET Systematic Approach to Tasting Spirits©
- demonstrate a basic knowledge of legislation and health, social and safety issues relating to the consumption and service of spirits
Progression routes – on successful completion of the Level 1 – Introduction to spirits course, the candidate may progress to the following qualifications:
Livello 2 – WSET® Award in Spirits: for individuals wishing to develop their expertise in spirits and liqueurs, this qualification provides comprehensive training
Introduction to distilling in practice: – this is a one-day course that provides a practical introduction to the principles of distilling. It is suitable for all who wish to gain a practical understanding of the distillation process and how spirits are made