Advanced Certificate in Swiss Wine
Who should attend?
This qualification is intended to provide core knowledge of the wide range of wines produced in Switzerland. The qualification is designed for trade and hospitality employees working in a supervisory capacity who need to advise management, answer customer queries authoritatively, or make informed selections of Swiss Wines in a variety of situations.
The qualification is a prerequisite for those planning to specialise in the domaine of Swiss Wine.
How will you benefit?
The course focuses on the tasting and analysis of the characteristics of the main Swiss grape varieties as well as of the limited production of “speciality” grape varieties in each Canton.
- the main grape varieties used to produce wine in each Canton
- the grape varieties used to produce wine in limited quantities in each Canton
- reading the wine label
- food and wine matching
- wine tasting, using the WSET® Level 3 systematic approach to tasting©
To gain the qualification, candidates are required to successfully complete:
Unit 1 – theory
- a multiple choice paper which consists of fifty (50) questions
- a theory paper which requires short answers
Unit 2 – practical
- The blind tasting of a white and a red (Swiss) wine
Required prior knowledge for course: – Level 2 – WSET® in Wines. An advantage: the Level 3 – WSET® in Wines or equivalent
(N.B. if you are not sure, contact us, so that we can help you choose the course level according to your needs and objectives).
Guided learning hours: – It is recommended that the teaching time for the course is no less than 14 hours and should be no more than 18 hours
Learning Outcomes – at the end of this course, the candidate will be able to:
- explain the key factors influencing the production and how those factors influence the style, quality and price of the wine
- describe in detail the characteristics of the main Swiss wines
- use knowledge of Swiss wines to make recommendations to customers in a variety of situations
- apply the principles of food and wine matching to the key styles of wine available
- by the use of the WSET® Systematic Approach to Tasting, produce tasting notes and use the information contained within them to identify the style, quality and price band of wines and spirits
- provide information for customers and staff on the health issues relating to wines and spirits
- provide information and advice for customers and staff on the correct storage and service of Swiss wines
Progression Routes: – upon successful completion of the Advanced Certificate in Swiss Wine, the student may progress to the following qualifications:
WSET® Level 3 Award in Wines: – The WSET® Level 3 Award in Wines is designed to give a thorough understanding of the factors that account for the style, quality and price of the principal still, sparkling and fortified wines of the world. The qualification will assist those who are required to make professional evaluations of wines with regards to their style, quality and price. The qualification provides the in-depth product knowledge required to underpin job skills and competencies, for example in product selection in the retail and hospitality sectors
Our Operations Management Courses:
- Advanced Wine Service Skills
- Beverage and Wine List Development
- Performance Analysis for Wine and Beverage Lists
- Manage Cellar and Beverage Operations